About Me

My photo
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Edwin Elisha James is an Evangelist whose commitment to preach wherever the Lord leads him has fructified in bringing hundreds of souls to the Lord - a dream and a desire that he has harboured for the longest time!

Thursday, February 23, 2017

What is Repentance?

1. Nacham – meaning, to sigh, breathe strongly

Genesis 6:6

And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart

2. Shuwb – to turn back

1 Kings 8:47

yet when they come to themselves in the land where they were carried captive, and repent, and make supplication to You in the land of those who took them captive, saying, “We have sinned and done wrong, we have committed wickedness’;

3. Nocham – to have compassion

Hosea 13:14

will ransom them from the power of the grave;
 I will redeem them from death.
 O Death, I will be your plagues!
 O Grave, I will be your destruction!
 Pity is hidden from My eyes.”

4. Nichum – to have change of heart

Hosea 11:8

“How can I give you up, Ephraim?
 How can I hand you over, Israel?
 How can I make you like Admah?
 How can I set you like Zeboiim?
 My heart churns within Me;
 My sympathy is stirred.

5. Metanoeo – to change the mind for the better morally, to change attitude toward sin.

Luke 13:3

I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.
6. Metamelomai – to regret consequences of sin.

Matthew 27:3

Then Judas, His betrayer, seeing that He had been condemned, was remorseful and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders

7. Metanoia – a real change of mind and attitude toward sin and its cause, not merely consequences.

Matthew 3:8

Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance

8. Ametameletos – meaning, irrevocable.

Romans 11:29

For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment