About Me

My photo
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Edwin Elisha James is an Evangelist whose commitment to preach wherever the Lord leads him has fructified in bringing hundreds of souls to the Lord - a dream and a desire that he has harboured for the longest time!

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Biblical Examples and Styles of Prayer.

The Lord’s Prayer, which serves as basic model for us (because it includes several kinds of petitions), and some prayers from scripture give a wealth of methods, or styles for moving your group to deeper levels of praying.

Kinds of Prayer

Opening “Hear our prayer…”

O Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of this your of your servants who delight in revering your name. Give your servant success today by granting him favor in the presence of this man…Nehemiah 1:11

“Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my king and my God, for you I pray. In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation”…Psalm 5:1-3

Adoration “Hallowed be your name…”

He is your praise; he is your God, who performed for you those great and awesome wonders you saw with your own eyes…Deuteronomy 10:21

David praised the LORD in the presence of the whole assembly, saying, “Praise be to you, O LORD, God of our father Israel, from everlasting to everlasting. Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours. Yours, O LORD, is the kingdom; you are exalted as head over all. Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things. In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all. Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name”…1 Chronicles 29:10-13

Group Needs “Give us this day…”

O LORD, my God, I take refuge in you; save and deliver me from all who pursue me…Psalm 7:1

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, and door will be opened…Matthew 7:7-8

Confession “Forgive us our debts…”

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness…1 John 1:9

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times? Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy seven times”…Matthew 18:21-22

Renewal (protection) “Lead us not into temptation…”

If you remain in me and my words remain you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete…John 15:7-11

Thanksgiving “Give thanks to the Lord…”

We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, the One who is and who was, because you have taken your great power and have begun to reign…Revelation `11:17

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever…1 Chronicles 16:34

Blessing “The Lord bless you and keep…”

The LORD said to Moses, Tell Aaron and his sons, this is how you are to bless the Israelites. Say to them: “The LORD bless you and keep you; and LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.” “So they will put my name on the Israelites, and I will bless them”…Numbers 6:22-27

Commissioning “Go therefore and make disciples…”

Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age”…Matthew 28:18-20 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment