About Me

My photo
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Edwin Elisha James is an Evangelist whose commitment to preach wherever the Lord leads him has fructified in bringing hundreds of souls to the Lord - a dream and a desire that he has harboured for the longest time!

Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday


Theme: The Cross of Jesus

By Rev. Dr. Emmanuel E James

Read: Gal 2:19-21

When people see the cross on our rings or lapels of our coats or as pendant of a chain on our necks, they recognize us as Christians. When we see a cross on a building, we recognize it as a church building where Christians gather together to worship. For many people cross is just an ornament.  The cross gained its place as the symbol of Christianity because our Lord Jesus Christ died on it. But what does it mean to Christians today? What place does it have for us? When we read the Word of God we realize that the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ is at the heart of the Gospel. Do we realize its meaning?  What are the things that we need to understand when we meditate on the Cross of Christ?  Paul says, “May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world” (Gal 6:14).

The Suffering of the Cross of Jesus

Jesus is God who came into this world as a man (John 1:14).  He was pure and holy. He was without sin. He suffered and died on the cross for me and each one of us. It was a painful and excruciating suffering. It was a shameful suffering.

The Revelation of the Cross of Jesus

What does the cross of Christ reveal to us? It reveals His love, grace and faithfulness. It reveals the failure of man, the present depraved condition of man. It reveals that man is helpless to save himself. It reveals that man needs a Savior who is sinless, innocent, able and acceptable to God to provide salvation to us. It reveals Christ’s supreme love and sacrifice for us.

What do we get from the Lord Jesus who died on the Cross?

We receive forgiveness of our sins, salvation and eternal life. The death of Jesus on the cross proves God’s mercy and grace. Lost sinners need God’s mercy and grace to be saved. We too must experience God’s grace and mercy by receiving Jesus as our personal Lord and Saviour. “May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me and I to the world” (Gal. 6:14). Jesus poured out Himself as an offering for our sin when He gave His life. The cross is the continuing reminder that we are forgiven sinners. We are saved from our sin in order to live for God and serve Him in unselfish service.

Prayer:

Dear Lord Jesus, as I meditate upon your cross, your suffering and   your love for me, I am deeply humbled. I repent of my sin and trust you fully and accept you Lord Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior. Help me to always remember that I am saved from my sin in order to live for God and serve Him in unselfish service. In Jesus’ dear name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment