About Me

My photo
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Edwin Elisha James is an Evangelist whose commitment to preach wherever the Lord leads him has fructified in bringing hundreds of souls to the Lord - a dream and a desire that he has harboured for the longest time!

Friday, November 7, 2014

Examples from the Bible

1 Examples of Humility

2 Examples of being angry

3  Examples of being God’s Delight

4 Examples of Blessing by Kindness

5 Examples of Pondering right Path

6 Examples of kneeling in Prayer.

1

Examples of Humility

Abraham.

Genesis 18:27 

Then Abraham spoke up again: “Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, though I am nothing but dust and ashes,

Jacob.

Genesis 32:10 -11

10 I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two groups. 

11 Save me, I pray, from the hand of my brother Esau, for I am afraid he will come and attack me, and also the mothers with their children.

Moses.

Exodus 4:10  

Moses said to the LORD, “O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue.”

Job.

Job 42:4 -6

4 “You said, ‘Listen now, and I will speak; I will question you, and you shall answer me.’

5 My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you.

6 Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes.”

David

2 Samuel 7:18-19

18 Then King David went in and sat before the LORD, and he said: “Who am I, O Sovereign LORD, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? 

19 And as if this were not enough in your sight, O Sovereign LORD, you have also spoken about the future of the house of your servant. Is this your usual way of dealing with man, O Sovereign LORD?

Isaiah.

Isaiah 6:5  

“Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty.”

John the Baptist.

John 3:30  

He must become greater; I must become less.

Paul.

Ephesians 3:8  

Although I am less than the least of all God's people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ,

1 Timothy 1:15  

Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.

The Centurion.

Matthew 8:8  

The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed.

How real servants act?

Matthew 10:42  

And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward.”

2

Examples of being angry

Esau against Jacob

Genesis 27:45 

 When your brother is no longer angry with you and forgets what you did to him, I'll send word for you to come back from there. Why should I lose both of you in one day?”

Jacob against Rachel

Genesis 30:2  

Jacob became angry with her and said, “Am I in the place of God, who has kept you from having children?”

Simeon and Levi against Shechem

Genesis 49:6-7  

6 Let me not enter their council, let me not join their assembly, for they have killed men in their anger and hamstrung oxen as they pleased.

7 Cursed be their anger, so fierce, and their fury, so cruel! I will scatter them in Jacob and disperse them in Israel.

Moses against Pharaoh

Exodus 11:8  

All these officials of yours will come to me, bowing down before me and saying, ‘Go, you and all the people who follow you!’ After that I will leave.” Then Moses, hot with anger, left Pharaoh.

Moses against Israel

Exodus 32:19  

When Moses approached the camp and saw the calf and the dancing, his anger burned and he threw the tablets out of his hands, breaking them to pieces at the foot of the mountain.
David against rich man

2 Samuel 12:5  

David burned with anger against the man and said to Nathan, “As surely as the LORD lives, the man who did this deserves to die!

Nebuchadnezzar against wise men

Daniel 2:12  

This made the king so angry and furious that he ordered the execution of all the wise men of Babylon.

Jesus against hypocrites

Mark 3:5  

He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored.

3

Examples of being God’s Delight

Enoch

Hebrews 11:5  

By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God.

Noah

Genesis 6:8  

But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.

Israel

Deuteronomy 10:15

Yet the LORD set his affection on your forefathers and loved them, and he chose you, their descendants, above all the nations, as it is today.

The upright

Proverbs 11:20  

The LORD detests men of perverse heart but he delights in those whose ways are blameless.

Saints and the excellent

Psalms 16:3 

 As for the saints who are in the land, they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight.

Jesus Christ

Isaiah 42:1 

 “Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him and he will bring justice to the nations.

4

Examples of Blessing by Kindness

The Kenites

1 Samuel 15:6  

Then he said to the Kenites, “Go away, leave the Amalekites so that I do not destroy you along with them; for you showed kindness to all the Israelites when they came up out of Egypt.” So the Kenites moved away from the Amalekites.

Jonathan

2 Samuel 9:7  

“Don't be afraid,” David said to him, “for I will surely show you kindness for the sake of your father Jonathan. I will restore to you all the land that belonged to your grandfather Saul and you will always eat at my table.”

2 Samuel 21:7  

The king spared Mephibosheth son of Jonathan, the son of Saul, because of the oath before the LORD between David and Jonathan son of Saul.

Cornelius

Acts 10:4  

Cornelius stared at him in fear. “What is it, Lord?” he asked. The angel answered, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God.

David

1 Samuel 30:11  

They found an Egyptian in a field and brought him to David. They gave him water to drink and food to eat— 

12 part of a cake of pressed figs and two cakes of raisins. He ate and was revived, for he had not eaten any food or drunk any water for three days and three nights.

13 David asked him, “To whom do you belong, and where do you come from?” He said, “I am an Egyptian, the slave of an Amalekite. My master abandoned me when I became ill three days ago. 

14 We raided the Negev of the Kerethites and the territory belonging to Judah and the Negev of Caleb. And we burned Ziklag.”

15 David asked him, “Can you lead me down to this raiding party?” He answered, “Swear to me before God that you will not kill me or hand me over to my master, and I will take you down to them.”

16 He led David down, and there they were, scattered over the countryside, eating, drinking and reveling because of the great amount of plunder they had taken from the land of the Philistines and from Judah. 

17 David fought them from dusk until the evening of the next day, and none of them got away, except four hundred young men who rode off on camels and fled. 

18 David recovered everything the Amalekites had taken, including his two wives. 

19 Nothing was missing: young or old, boy or girl, plunder or anything else they had taken. David brought everything back. 

20 He took all the flocks and herds, and his men drove them ahead of the other livestock, saying, “This is David's plunder.”

5

Examples of Pondering right Path

Eleazar

Genesis 24:5  

The servant asked him, “What if the woman is unwilling to come back with me to this land? Shall I then take your son back to the country you came from?”

Joshua

Joshua 24:15  

But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.”

Ruth

Ruth 1:16-18 

But Ruth replied, “Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. 

17 Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me.” 

18 When Naomi realized that Ruth was determined to go with her, she stopped urging her.

David

Psalms 39:1  

I said, “I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth as long as the wicked are in my presence.”

The good wife

Proverbs 31:27  

She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.

Daniel

Daniel 6:3-4 

 3 Now Daniel so distinguished himself among the administrators and the satraps by his exceptional qualities that the king planned to set him over the whole kingdom. 

4 At this, the administrators and the satraps tried to find grounds for charges against Daniel in his conduct of government affairs, but they were unable to do so. They could find no corruption in him, because he was trustworthy and neither corrupt nor negligent.



Examples of kneeling in Prayer.

Jesus:

Luke 22:41  

And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed,
Stephen:

Acts 7:60  

And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

Peter:

Acts 9:40  

But Peter put them all forth, and kneeled down, and prayed; and turning him to the body said, Tabitha, arise. And she opened her eyes: and when she saw Peter, she sat up.

Paul:

Acts 20:36  

And when he had thus spoken, he kneeled down, and prayed with them all.

Acts 21:5  

And when we had accomplished those days, we departed and went our way; and they all brought us on our way, with wives and children, till we were out of the city: and we kneeled down on the shore, and prayed.

Ephesians 3:14  

For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment