About Me

My photo
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Edwin Elisha James is an Evangelist whose commitment to preach wherever the Lord leads him has fructified in bringing hundreds of souls to the Lord - a dream and a desire that he has harboured for the longest time!

Thursday, November 24, 2011

The work of peace


By John Fischer

“Blessed are those who work for peace, for they will be called children of God.” (Matthew 5:9)

I must admit, “Working for peace” is a new concept for me when applied to my closest relationships. Being a child of the 60s, working for peace has strong connotations of political and social action. After all, we’re the generation who made the peace sign universal. But peace on a more human relationship level is another thing. I wouldn’t think of that as work; I would think of that more as avoidance. For me, peace in a relationship is achieved by avoiding anything and everything uncomfortable.

That’s because I’m dysfunctional when it comes to this. I will opt for peace at any price, which usually means, if I know a conflict exists in a particular area, I will avoid the subject altogether. Or if I am in conflict with a certain person, I will avoid them altogether. This is not being a peacemaker. It’s being a coward. A peacemaker works for peace and by avoiding conflict I am saying that I am not willing to put forth the effort necessary to face into a problem, I am too afraid to face into it, or I don’t care enough for the other person to want to seek peace. Do I care enough for myself to want to live in peace instead of conflict and denial?

Peace is never found in walking away from our fears, but in walking into them. Like the cowardly lion in The Wizard of Oz, courage comes when you care enough for someone that you will face into your fears on their behalf. It takes this kind of work to be a peacemaker.

Think about where there is conflict in your life and ask God to show you how you can make peace. It’s true that a relationship is made up of two people, and if there is a conflict, both have to want to make peace in order to achieve it. We can’t change the other person, but we can do our part to create the environment for reconciliation.

If there is a chasm in a relationship, you may have to reach all the way across to establish peace, but won’t it be worth it? God didn’t stay on his throne of righteousness, but reached all the way through the cross to bridge the chasm to us. Halfway is probably not far enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment